I obtained an F1 visa in the United States. In the process, I have received a I-797 (USCIS Approval Notice) for my F1 reinstatement:

enter image description here

Is there any point in keeping the I-797, or can I safely throw it away?

  • 1
    I keep everything original. You never know when something in the past might come into dispute, and there was a simple official document that could immediately clear everything up.
    – ouflak
    Jun 17 '16 at 6:28
  • @ouflak wouldn't the F1 be enough to clear everything up? Jun 17 '16 at 6:59
  • If it still exists, sure.
    – ouflak
    Jun 17 '16 at 7:38
  • How long did you wait for your approval?
    – Yan224
    Dec 22 '16 at 6:06
  • @Yan224: Sorry, I do not recall, that was over five years ago :/ Dec 22 '16 at 15:00

I would keep it, at least until the corresponding visa expires. If you really feel compelled to discard the physical paper now, then keeping a scanned copy should be sufficient.

  • Thanks, in which case this could be I-797 be useful, aside from loss of passport (on reaching the F1 visa is stamped) or I-20? Jun 17 '16 at 3:04
  • @FranckDernoncourt: It's difficult to predict exactly when this form might be useful to you. But loss of other documents could certainly be one case. Jun 17 '16 at 3:06

You should keep it.

For example, one of the requirements for Adjustment of Status (the process of getting US permanent residency from within the US) is that you've never been out of status in the US in any past trips (except if you are an Immediate Relative of a US citizen in which case you don't have to be in status). So if there's even a remote possibility of you applying for this (for example, if you will be in the US on a work visa and apply for permanent residency from the US) at some later point in your life, you want to make sure to retain all I-20s and I-797s to prove you were continuously in status.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.