Japan, Russia or Sweden their eligibility criteria for citizenship are One must live in there for 5 years, would it be possible if I live there on tourist visa for 5 years am I eligible to apply for citizenship?

  • 3
    It's not generally possible to stay in a country for 5 years on a tourist visa.
    – phoog
    Jun 18, 2016 at 19:16
  • Thanks, But if one complete eligible period in with additional visit ?
    – Tgth
    Jun 18, 2016 at 19:47
  • 1
    You generally have to have resident status for the specified number of years. Tourist status does not count. Plus, tourist status expires after a time. In Sweden, for example, it expires after 90 days, and the rule is such that you cannot spend more than half your time in the Schengen area.
    – phoog
    Jun 18, 2016 at 20:09

1 Answer 1


Usually, the residency requirements are for legal residency. I.e.: you should be a legal permanent resident for 5 years when you apply for naturalization. This is true for Russia and the US, not familiar with Japan or Sweden - but I assume it's similar. Overstaying a tourist entry permit is not generally considered "legal residency" for immigration purposes.

Russia specifically has an exception for people who arrived to Russia and stayed without permanent residency before July 2002, but all of those, I assume, have naturalized already. The date is the date at which the current immigration law took effect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.