I know the question is trivial, but I cant seem to find the answer to it online :/

If someone holds a Work permit to work in Ireland, are they also allowed to attend college as a part time student from a visa\permit perspective?

1 Answer 1


The work visa alone has no prohibition on study. You may have to document your status in applying to a private college, and there are status criteria that have to be met in order to qualify for access to publicly-funded college education free of fees.

Third-level student fees and charges

Free fees
To qualify for free fees, you must meet criteria with regard to:

  1. Residence and
  2. Nationality and immigration status and
  3. Course requirements

You must have been living in an EEA member state or Switzerland for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course. The members of the EEA (the European Economic Area) are the member states of the EU, along with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Nationality and immigration
You must also fulfil one of the following 6 criteria as regards nationality and immigration status in Ireland:

You must:

  1. Be a citizen of an EEA member state (see above) or Switzerland or
  2. Have official refugee status or
  3. Be a family member of a refugee and have been granted permission to live in the State or
  4. Be a family member of an EU national and have permission to live in the State, with a stamp “4EUFAM” on your residence card or
  5. Have been granted humanitarian leave to remain in the State or
  6. Have been granted permission to remain in the State by the Minister for Justice and Equality, following a determination by the Minister not to make a deportation order under Section 3 of the Immigration Act 1999.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.