My employer in the US provides sufficient health insurance in the US. But my job (and my private live) involves short-term travels to other parts of the world, including my original country (Germany).

What is the right name for the kind of insurance I need there?

(In Germany, I would get a „Auslandsreisekrankenversicherung“, which covers all travels abroad for ~8€ a year.)

  • My US employer provides health insurance that covers me anywhere in the world (though in other countries the coverage is on "out of network" terms). Are you certain that yours does not?
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 19, 2016 at 19:10
  • They told me “The … health insurance only offers international coverage for life-threatening emergencies in which there is immediate danger to your life and/or a limb.” Commented Jun 19, 2016 at 21:54

1 Answer 1


You need a travel insurance policy covering medical emergencies and possible repatriation. Policies normally also cover trip cancelation, lost baggage, accidents etc. Single trip and multiple trip policies are available. Multiple trip policies are usually cheaper if you make several trips a year.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.