I am an Indian citizen married to a Romanian woman. We have a two-month-old child. I have been living in Romania for the last 6 and a half months. I have a Temporary Residence Permit from Romanian authorities. Now we would like to relocate to London together to find work and settle. My wife and son don't need a visa to enter and remain in the United Kingdom. Can I enter the UK with my residence permit or do I need some kind of visa? If I do need a visa, which visa do I need and how do I apply?

1 Answer 1


You should apply for an EEA family permit.

When you apply, be careful to include the fact that you and your wife have a child together. There is apparently a strong tendency for applications to be refused because the entry clearance officer (ECO) suspects a marriage of convenience.

The UK's own guidance to ECOs explicitly says that couples who have children together must not be suspected of having a marriage of convenience, so this is your best strategy to avoid a refusal.

Once you arrive in the UK, you will need to apply for a residence card as evidence of your continued right to live there.

  • 2
    (+1) I understand the OP wants to find a job for himself while his wife would not be working. It's not impossible but it makes things more complicated than doing it the other way around (i.e. when the EU citizen works and sponsor economically non-active relatives). It might be useful to add some details on that to the answer.
    – Gala
    Jun 21, 2016 at 22:46
  • @Gala I'm not entirely clear on how that works, so if you want to edit the answer, or add your own, it would be much appreciated.
    – phoog
    Jun 21, 2016 at 23:14
  • Good luck with this. There are stories of people with 10 year marriages and 3 kids being refused as a marriage of convenience... The HO largely just ignores the law.
    – user
    Sep 21, 2017 at 9:26
  • @ゼーロ the government's own policy states that a marriage of convenience is not to be suspected if there are children of the marriage.
    – phoog
    Sep 21, 2017 at 10:57
  • @phoog Sure, but they don't actually follow that policy. Just yesterday the Home Secretary had a contempt of court case brought against her.
    – user
    Sep 21, 2017 at 12:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.