The situation is relatively simple: I am a single Canadian citizen. My parents are alive. My brother and his family and our parents are living in Hungary. If push comes to shove (which, as of today, thanks to the enlightened UK voters have moved from "impossible" to "who knows") I would like to get my brother over here. I read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp and I do not understand. I frankly don't.

Option 1 is "You can sponsor close relatives, related by blood or adoption, such as brothers... nephews, nieces ... if they meet all of the following conditions " -- well, I have a brother, a nephew and a niece but neither of the three are orphaned so Option 1 is out.

Option 2 is You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead: parent,... brother or sister,

But I have a brother I'd like to sponsor! I do not get it. Can I or can I not?

(Money is not a problem.)

  • Short answer: You can.The answer is in your question itself. you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
    – Dipen Shah
    Jun 25 '16 at 0:31
  • @DipenShah but he has parents, whom he could sponsor instead.
    – phoog
    Jun 25 '16 at 0:53
  • @phoog But the question OP asked focused on their brother getting in Canada not the parents.
    – Dipen Shah
    Jun 25 '16 at 0:55
  • @DipenShah right, but see my comment on the answer. The wording on the page says that the existence of the parents who could be sponsored disqualifies chx from sponsoring his brother. There's no reference to whether he actually wants to or plans to sponsor his parents.
    – phoog
    Jun 25 '16 at 0:57
  • 1
    The best thing to do would be to contact CIC customer service. They should be able to give you a firm answer.
    – Dipen Shah
    Jun 25 '16 at 1:17

Option 2 is (very slightly) easier to read in the actual regulations, at 117(1)(h). Essentially it says you could sponsor your brother if

  • you have no other relatives already in Canada, and

  • there is no one you could sponsor under some other paragraph.

Since you have parents you could sponsor under 117(1)(c) I don't think you are eligible to sponsor your brother under 117(1)(h). This only barely makes sense because, of course, it is the government...

  • Fantastic! I tried to find the applicable law but while I found the law, I couldn't find this section. This is clear to me: whose application to enter and remain in Canada as a permanent resident the sponsor may otherwise sponsor. Of course it doesn't make sense but at least the law is clear.
    – chx
    Jun 25 '16 at 23:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.