Are photos with rounded corners accepted for US passports (or other forms asking for passport size photos)?
What I have found so far is inconclusive:
- The official requirements do not mention whether they accept or reject rounded corners (https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html), though none of the example photos shown have rounded corners. The official FAQ doesn't mention rounded corners either: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/frequently-asked-questions.html#Photo
- http://www.immihelp.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-28827.html: "Rounded corners photographs are not acceptable. "
- https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/passport-photo-for-green-card--i-485---643428.html : "Yes, your photos should be okay."
I tried to email the US passport services, but they referred me to the website requirements, and mentioned that in the end of the day it's up to the discretion of the agency who receives my application (a.k.a. question closed as primarily opinion based):
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: NPIC, Passport
Date: 28 June 2016 at 22:59
Subject: RE: Are photos with rounded corners accepted for US passports?
Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center.
For passport photo requirements, visit:
The acceptance of your photo is at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency where you apply for a passport or U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply for a visa.
For further information, please refer to our website www.travel.state.gov or call (877) 487-2778, for TDD/TTY users 1-888-874-7793 (Mon-Fri 8:00AM to 10:00PM ET; excluding federal holidays). If you need to contact us again by email, please include all prior messages/correspondence in your reply so we can review what has previously taken place.
National Passport Information Center
From: me [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:51 PM
To: NPIC, Passport
Subject: Are photos with rounded corners accepted for US passports?
Are photos with rounded corners accepted for US passports or I-485?
I tried calling the US passport services ((877) 487-2778), they didn't know.
I tried https://www.uscis.gov/'s chatbot, it wasn't useful either:
- Hi, I’m Emma. I’m here to help you with your questions about this site. What would you like to ask me?
- Are photos with rounded corners accepted for I-485 applications?
- Certain processes require that you submit two standard, passport-style color photographs with your application. Acceptable photographs must have been taken within 30 days of the date they are sent to USCIS and be unmounted and printed on thin paper, on a white background, with a full frontal view of your face. Your head should be bare unless you are required by your religious beliefs to wear a headcovering. In all cases, your facial features must be visible.
(I'm trying to determine whether I have to go back to see the photograph who gave me the pictures and ask her to redo with square corners.)