I'm an American citizen planning to go to Seoul as a tourist for a month or two, and, if I like it, enroll in a three-month Korean language course through one of the universities there (making a total stay of five months, more than the 90 days I can get visa-free).

Once I'm in Seoul as a tourist, what are my options for extending my stay in order to take a language course? Do I need to apply for a visa? Can I do this in the country?

1 Answer 1


Many countries have different categories of visa. The simplest is the transit visa, which gives you a very short stay while you are waiting to travel somewhere else. Next is the tourist visa, which allows you a longer stay for the purpose of tourism (just visiting). Then there are the more 'serious' visas like business visas, study visas and longer-term family visit visas.

Obviously, the checks done for a tourist visa (they basically just want to be sure that you will leave by the end of your permission to stay) are much less than those done for a business visa - the intention of the tourist visa is that you will visit, then leave.

However, if you intend to study you should apply for a study visa. Check this page out for details.

Doing anything outside of what is permitted by your visa is usually a very serious offence, so it is important to get the right visa for your stay - penalties can include a fine, deportation and imprisonment while the case is being dealt with.

  • Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this doesn't quite provide the information I was looking for. I will be going to Seoul as a tourist for two months; after that, I want to stay as a language student for three additional months, and am asking about what steps are required for extending my stay. I won't need a visa for the tourism nor the first month of the language course, but am only entitled to 90 days of visa-free entry as an American.
    – Urbana
    Jun 30, 2016 at 16:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.