My son was born in the UK, but we have immigrated back to the US. Does the US consular report of birth abroad form substitute for a birth certificate, or is there a reason to have a copy of his UK birth certificate. If the UK birth certificate is needed, do we need the long or short version?

  • For what purposes? Jun 30 '16 at 21:49
  • 2
    @MichaelHampton for any purpose that he is likely to encounter in his lifetime.
    – StrongBad
    Jun 30 '16 at 22:21
  • I just did a little searching and for everything I could think of where one might use a birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad was also acceptable.
    – phoog
    Jul 1 '16 at 0:27
  • 1
    I just thought of a context in which the US consular report of birth abroad is not as useful as a UK birth certificate: in dealings with the UK government. If your son is a British citizen, for example, it may be necessary to show the birth certificate when appying for a passport. Another context where the birth certificate would probably be preferable would be dealings with any other government. They're more likely to want a British birth certificate than a US CRBA.
    – phoog
    Jul 1 '16 at 4:38
  • 1
    The CRBA and birth certificate are different things. The former proves US citizenship at birth. The latter proves the details of birth without regards to nationality or immigration status. Both are needed, for different things.
    – user102008
    Jul 1 '16 at 7:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.