I applied for F1 visa and got the visa. Few weeks later I got married and the University is sending an I-20 for me again under the same SEVIS number adding a dependent and another for my spouse. What do I do with my old I-20? Do I have to inform the embassy that I have received a new I-20? Do I have to pay the SEVIS fee again?

1 Answer 1


It is quite common for you to receive new I-20 forms throughout your academic career. For instance, you'll receive a new one if you change your major. You do not need to do anything except remember to use the new I-20 instead of the old I-20 when traveling (and, if you're already in the US, have the I-20 endorsed for travel).

You don't need to give the new I-20 to the consulate unless you need a new visa. But you will need the new I-20 at the border to enter the United States.

As for old I-20s, you should keep these in a safe place, as they may be required for certain things (such as OPT, or H-1B visa applications).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.