I am a US citizen wishing to study for my master's degree in the Czech Republic. I have BS in computer science, so I would almost definitely qualify as a skilled worked for a Blue Card if that would be helpful. I can work as either a traditional employee or a 1099.

  • Does your visa allow employment? Usually student visas don't allow employment or allow very limited employment options as part of internships or on campus.
    – littleadv
    Jul 18, 2016 at 1:23
  • For a blue card you have to be in an employment contract which makes a certain amount of money. Most student visas specifically do not allow for you to be working in the country (even if your employer is outside the country), which would mean you don't qualify for the blue card even if you do have a BSc. In any case, check the terms of your student visa. Jul 18, 2016 at 8:47

1 Answer 1


There are three separate questions here:

  • Are non-EU citizen students allowed to work in the Czech Republic? The answer is yes, you may work for as many hours as you want. See this page for proof:

    No employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card is required from a foreigner:

    who is systematically preparing for a future occupation in the territory of the Czech Republic

  • Are non-EU citizens allowed to work for foreign companies? Absolutely, as long as they register as a self-employed person and pay taxes locally.

  • Can you continue paying taxes back in the US? No, as a full-time student you will become a tax resident of Czech Republic and here is where most of the tax would be paid. I am aware that the US taxes its citizens worldwide, but luckily for you there exists a tax treaty between the US and Czech Republic, allowing you to deduct Czech taxes from whatever you owe to the US government.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.