Here is my situation in bullet points:-
- I'm British, living in the Philippines.
- My gf of 4 years is a Filipina (pause for inevitable joke ... ).
- We wish to permanently relocate to Spain.
- We asked the Spanish consulate in Manila for the procedure to apply for permanent residence, and they asked us to submit a standard Schengen visa application form.
- We did this with all of the usual proof of relationship, finance, health, etc.
- She has now been issued a 90-day Schengen visa, marked 'vis estancia'.
- Not knowing what to do next, we asked the consulate again and their reply was "she needs to apply to the local authorities in Spain for a residence permit".
So my question is, what do we do now?
It seems wrong to enter Spain on a visitors visa when it is our stated intention to remain there permanently, however that appears to be the advice we're being given. Does anybody know what/where/to whom we should apply once in Spain, and what exactly are we applying for? I'm confident that we meet the relationship criteria as specified in 2004/38/EU and also the Spanish equivalent (Royal Decree 240/2007). However are we likely to hit any bureaucratic issues because local officials only understand certified marriage/partnerships?