I am an Indian national going to UK for a course starting in October 2016.The Tier 4 Visa stamped on my passport is starting from September 3.

Now the interesting part is I plan to travel from India to London in August (Tourist Visa)and then fly to Brasil and back to London on 1st September.

My questions are :

a. Will I be allowed entry to UK on a one way ticket on a tourist visa (when i travel in august from India)?
b. Can I enter UK on tourist visa on 1st september and shift to Tier 4 (somehow)

Fyi : I have booked my tickets already(some schedule constraints) and have been a constant traveller to UK.

  • When are the start and end dates for your tourist visa?
    – March Ho
    Aug 5, 2016 at 2:33
  • my tourist visa starts 1st week of august until february 2017 Aug 5, 2016 at 8:52

2 Answers 2


No. Tourists cannot stay and switch to other types of visas. You have to go home first.


If you come to the UK with permission as a visitor, you cannot apply to switch to a student category in the UK, you will need to return home to apply for permission to study.


Also, somebody arriving on a tourist visa with no return ticket is something they look out for. I have a sneaking suspicion you'd have your visa revoked.

  • I think the OP already has the student visa, so returning home is not the issue at hand here.
    – March Ho
    Aug 5, 2016 at 2:29
  • yes i already have both tourist and student visa stamped on my passport. Aug 5, 2016 at 7:43

Yes, I was able to fly straight back to UK from Brazil. They just want the visa stamped on your passport.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.