I have received a D type visa to study in Czech Republic. It starts on September 11th. But I would like to go there earlier. When applying to a C type (toursitic) Schengen visa, the issuing country obviously wants me to come back to my country after the expiry date.

What happens if I have a C type visa from another Schengen country from August 20th to September 12th? Should I as well come back and go again, or can I just activate my D type by the alien police and stay there after expiration of my C type visa?

A slightly related problem that I am facing is, is it possible to have a C type visa starts before a D type?


I'm not sure if you have to return to your home country but for the last question on "is it possible to have a C type visa before a D type" I would say it is possible.

I'm in a similar situation - where my school term starts on end feb (& I don't want to go there too early) however I would like to visit Europe in January so I sent an enquiry to the embassy for the country which I would be staying in the longest - and they said it's possible.

  • 1
    What embassy? Has their immigration advice proven reliable in the past? – ouflak Sep 9 '16 at 22:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.