I've got a job offer from Japan, I'll be relocating with family, 2 adults, 3 kids.

  1. As a visa requirement, I have to mention entry and departure dates on the visa form. What do I put in the case of a work visa (stay for more than 1 year)?

  2. For the visa application, does booking of ticket (not buying) will be ok, or do I need to buy for all 5 family members? Surely I'll be buying them, but after we get the visa.

  3. Can I buy one-way tickets or do I need to buy return tickets? I want to save money here.


1 Answer 1


Talk to your employer. Have they gotten a certificate of eligibility for you yet?

Here's what the Japanese Embassy in the UK states are required to apply for a work visa:

Once a Certificate of Eligibility has been obtained, the applicant should bring in:
1. Valid passport
2. One visa application form (sample), completed and signed
3. One passport-sized photograph approx. 45mm x 45mm (taken within the last 6 months)
4. Original Certificate of Eligibility
5. One photocopy of Certificate of Eligibility

Your local embassy may have different requirements.

  • 1
    I've called the Embassy of Japan in Islamabad, Pakistan, and got answers in case of work visa as: 1 - Leave blank the date of entry and departure and write "not determined" in intended period of stay. 2 - There is no need to buy or book ticket before processing of Visa 3 - After Visa stamp buy one way ticket for all family members. 4 - Leave airport of entry and airline as blank
    – emkays
    Commented Aug 15, 2016 at 11:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.