I'm a Greek PhD student living and studying in London. In one year from now I am required to do a "secondment" in a certain university in Germany which has a six-month duration. Having a Greek passport means that I'm a EU/EEA citizen. My girlfriend is also Greek with a Greek passport. We are not married.

My question is the following: Can I bring my girlfriend to Germany for the 6-month duration of my secondment without any restrictions? Will she be allowed to stay for this long, without having a job, just being my partner?

  • 2
    Technically she has a right to stay without conditions for up to 90 days. To stay longer, she has to show that she can support herself, or that she is your "partner in a durable relationship." Which route to choose probably depends on how she's planning to support herself, whether through her own savings or your finances.
    – phoog
    Aug 27, 2016 at 18:20
  • @phoog Where can I find concrete information on the "partner in a durable relationship" part?
    – Aventinus
    Aug 27, 2016 at 18:42
  • Directive 2004/38/EC, the freedom of movement directive. I'll post an answer in a bit.
    – phoog
    Aug 27, 2016 at 19:55
  • 2
    I've been working on an answer, but i cannot find enough unambiguous information online. Here's a link for the directive: eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/…. The actual administration is done at the local level; as an example, here's a link for the relevant page of the Berlin Ausländerbehörde: berlin.de/labo/willkommen-in-berlin/…. The upshot seems to be that you will be fine just registering, but I can't find any unambiguous confirmation of that.
    – phoog
    Aug 27, 2016 at 23:07
  • 1
    See also expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/3004/…
    – Gala
    Aug 28, 2016 at 16:41


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.