I'm from a non-EU country and I have a blue card from Germany and I'm working there. Both my passport and the blue card are going to expire at the same time in a year from now.

When my passport expires, I won't be able to renew for at least 9 months after the expiry time. That's because my country's embassy will not renew my passport unless I provided them with a specific document which I won't be able to obtain except after 9 months of the expiry of my passport.

Is there any way to renew my blue card even if my passport is already expired ? or maybe is there any way to temporarily extend my blue card for these 9 months till I actually get a new passport ?

Or maybe, is there any alternative identification document that I can apply for from the German authorities that I can use when renewing my blue card ?

Also, if the same situation happened but I've a permanent residency instead of a blue card, are there any difference ?

I'm basically trying to find a legal way to allow me to stay in Germany and work there during these 9 months where both my passport and blue card has already expired. I don't care about my ability to travel abroad during this time, only about my ability to stay in Germany and work there.

  • 4
    (+1) I don't know for a fact (hence no answer) but there are countries where renewing a residence permit is possible without passport. However, Germany tends to be rather finicky with this kind of things and holding a valid, officially sanctioned, form of ID is in fact mandatory there so I would not be surprised if they expect you to renew your passport no matter what and would not be very friendly to the notion that you have to wait 9 months for that. What's this mysterious document? Is there absolutely no way to renew your passport earlier? – Gala Aug 28 '16 at 16:06
  • Gala: Unfortunately there's no way to renew the passport without the document. – AhmedKamal Aug 31 '16 at 22:35
  • 1
    OK, but what is it and why can't you get it? I would try to look into that (perhaps ask a question about it?) – Gala Sep 2 '16 at 8:51
  • Your blue card visa (the Aufenthaltstitel card) is only valid together with the Beiblatt piece of paper that lists the job types and your passport. It's linked to the passport because the passport number is on the physical card. If the passport expires, the visa is invalid. It's not expired though. You can still get a new passport and then get a new physical card. Your right to the visa remains intact. You just don't have a valid visa, which is kind of bad. – simbabque Oct 4 '16 at 15:21
  • I cannot say for sure that it can be done because I have a similar story with a fried now and it was solved by the Auslanderbehörde that they gave him an exemption of the passport request but he was walking around with a paper saying that his application is on hold until he gets a new passport. It would be helpful as well if you can share your experience since you had this question for more than 2 years now, so I hope you found a way around it. – ouba2 Oct 30 '18 at 14:15

In general, you can renew your passport before it expires if you have the right documents. Do that in your embassy in Germany. Tell your local Auslaenderbehoerde that you are going to do that. Your old passport will still be valid until it's date is past, unless they invalidate it (i.e. they make holes in it). In any case, tell your embassy you want to keep it. Then go to Auslaenderbehoerde as soon as you know your new passport number and tell them it changed. They will issue you a temporary paper for your 19a blue card visa, and start producing a new physical Aufenthaltstitel card for you. You will have to pay for that and it will take a month.

While you don't have that card, you cannot leave Germany.

Source: I helped someone do this.

  • Also keep in mind that once your blue card expires you've probably been in Germany long enough to get a Niederlassungserlaubnis if your German skills are high enough. When you have that, you never need to talk to Auslaenderbehoerde again, and the 19a salary range goes away, while the spouse benefits should stay. I don't have a source for the last. I've asked people in Berlin's Auslaenderbehoerde and they said it would stay, but couldn't name sources. Anyway, having that one is the better deal. In Berlin, they take the card and stick a visa in your passport for Niederlassungserlaubnis. – simbabque Oct 4 '16 at 13:32
  • 1
    @sinbabque While this is helpful, and addresses the issue of remaining legally in Germany, the OP has stated that he cannot renew his passport without a specific document which he won't be able to obtain except after 9 months of the expiry of his passport. The OP hasn't responded to the Gala request for details on that 'document' in order to prompt suggested remedy, and OP hasn't returned to TSE in nearly a month. – Giorgio Oct 4 '16 at 14:51
  • @Dorothy oh. I misread that part. You're right. I'll edit but leave the answer standing as it does contain useful info. – simbabque Oct 4 '16 at 15:18

protected by Community Oct 16 '18 at 19:14

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.