Hi I am currently on student visa in UK, and in my final year of PhD in UK. The IELTS (academic-has expired two years ago). What are my choices of fulfilling english requirements for Spouse visa?

1 Answer 1


The immigration rules Appendix KoLL says that having an academic degree taught in English is sufficient, with the degree itself being the documentary evidence:

2.2 For the purposes of paragraph 2.1, an applicant demonstrates sufficient knowledge of the English language if:


iii) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents;

  • 1
    Hi, But I have not completed my Degree yet, It will be completed next year and I need to apply now. So will it still be acceptable if I show some documentry evidence thaht the degree is being reserached in English?
    – user101
    Aug 31, 2016 at 17:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.