I would like to use this opportunity to thank the moderators and contributors of this forum. You guys are doing a wonderful job.

I have a question regarding accommodation requirement for UK Spouse Visa. All the other requirements have been met.

I'm the applicant. I live abroad. My wife has ILR and daughter has British citizenship and they are both resident in the UK. They presently live in a 2 bedroom and 1 living room apartment with my Father-in-law. We are scared of a refusal. So we want to rent a 2bedroom apartment.

Here is the problem: Is it acceptable to use this newly rented apartment to meet the accommodation requirement by providing only Tenancy agreement and letter from landlord with permission for me to live in the apartment? It is a newly rented apartment. So no utility bills. And we don't want to wait until we have utility bills for the apartment. Also, is a property inspection necessary for this apartment, given that it would be occupied by only my wife and daughter?

Thank you.

  • 1
    How old is you daughter? A separate bedroom for a 6 mo is unlikely needed, but for an 18 yo would be. I think the size (square meters of the flat also matters).
    – StrongBad
    Commented Sep 2, 2016 at 11:54
  • @StrongBad: She is 14months old.
    – AJNinja
    Commented Sep 2, 2016 at 12:17

1 Answer 1


With a child that age (14 months old at the time of posting), a two bedroom apartment is just fine. As long as you describe your situation in a letter, along with your rental agreement, that should suffice. Here is the most recent accommodation requirement.

  • Yes, we ended up using the two bedroom apartment( it has one living room and one bedroom) and i was granted the visa. It seems like a long time ago now. Funny how time flies.
    – AJNinja
    Commented Jul 31, 2017 at 10:32
  • That's really cool! If the answer is useful and answers the question satisfactorily, would you mind choosing it as an answer? It helps our percentages and such.
    – ouflak
    Commented Jul 31, 2017 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.