A friend of mine, a Swedish national, is moving to London, and has decided to apply for an optional residence permit, info about which is found here https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate

My question is: what form does it actually take? Is it a visa-type sticker in the passport, an A4 paper sheet, or something else?

If it's a sticker, how is it issued if you apply for it on the basis of an ID Card, rather than a passport?

  • Actually, I would expect a credit-card sized plastic card much like residence cards and common format residence permits, possibly with a different colour scheme (I held such a card in other countries) but my expectation was wrong (see answer).
    – Gala
    Sep 2, 2016 at 13:21

2 Answers 2


It's neither a plastic card, nor a sticker. It's a piece of paper (blue actually) which has three pages with usual info; the third page has the name, picture and the usual details.



(page 15)

  • Actually, this document confirms that it can be sticker but also explains what the alternative is (+1).
    – Gala
    Sep 6, 2016 at 12:33
  • Just what I was looking for. Guess it means that if you apply for it with a passport, the sticker's pasted into it, while with an ID Card you get the blue paper with the sticker pasted onto it. I think it could be a suitable solution even after Brexit (but with the certificate obviously becoming mandatory)
    – Crazydre
    Sep 6, 2016 at 14:58
  • I actually sent passport with the application and received the blue paper, i.e. no sticker. But i guess it doesnt really matter. If the person is moving the UK, they'll only get a certificate (the permanent residence is obtained after 5 years in the UK)
    – rbm
    Sep 6, 2016 at 21:41

PRADO indicates it is a sticker (which is kind of odd, considering the fact that holding a passport is by no means necessary for most EU citizens living in the UK). The website provides extensive details about its appearance and security features, along with a list of related documents (cards for family members, permanent residence cards, accession worker card).

  • Wow, question is then how it's issued if applied for on the basis of an ID card
    – Crazydre
    Sep 2, 2016 at 14:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.