I am in Austria on a Visa D multiple entry, which expires next month. I am a Philippine passport holder, and was in Canada when I applied for the visa. I have not yet completed my German course and want to remain in the country to continue it.

Am I able to extend the Visa D while I'm here in Austria? Or do I have to leave Austria and make an application from the Philippines? I just ask this since I am here already in Austria and I don't want to go back to my home country just to apply again for a new visa. It's not practical.

  • 1
    I don't know much about Austrian law but typically D-visas can be turned into a residence card when they expire. Is there any type of residence permit you would qualify for? That's what I would look into first. On what basis was the visa issued? For your German course? Again, I don't know about Austria specifically but note that student visas can come with a requirement that you make progress in your studies. Not attending/failing a course is usually not a good justification to get a renewal, quite the contrary.
    – Gala
    Sep 5, 2016 at 8:35

1 Answer 1


It's not possible from within Austria. Quote from: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/einreise-und-aufenthalt-in-oesterreich/einreise-und-visum/visum-d/

Bitte beachten Sie, dass eine Verlängerung eines Visums D in Österreich nicht vorgesehen ist.

My translation:

Please note that a D visa in not meant to be extended in Austria.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.