My father's USA immigrant visa date mentioned on his passport got expired and he could not go as my grand mother was sick. Rest of my family migrated and are green card holders now. My father wants to go too now What should he be doing now ? Whom should he contact or email .... It's been 4 and a half month since his visa got expired.


According to the US Embassy in Moscow,

  1. What happens if my visa expired and I didn’t use it?

Please contact U.S. Embassy Moscow to find out whether your visa may be re-issued and to receive further instructions. E-mail inquiries may be addressed to consulmo@state.gov.

Source: https://moscow.usembassy.gov/iv-faq.html

Obviously, if your father's immigrant visa was issued by a different mission, your father should get in touch with that mission instead of the Moscow embassy.

  • 1
    This article, while unofficial, is accurate. The visa expires about 6 months after the interview date. Since he's 10.5 months past that he'll likely need a new medical and police report and to file a new DS-260 (they all expire after a year), pay the fees again and schedule a new interview. That'll likely take another 6 months, minimally. – Dennis Oct 2 '16 at 21:54
  • @Dennis from where will I get DS 260? And it's 4 and half months since the expiry date. – user51901 Oct 3 '16 at 10:51
  • I have sent emails to NVC but they did not respond yet. Visa was issued by Islamabad US Embassy. – user51901 Oct 3 '16 at 10:54
  • Should I be sending DS-260 , medical and police reports on my own to embassy or I need to contact US embassy first ? What is the first step I need to take?@ Dennis – user51901 Oct 3 '16 at 11:16
  • @user51901 get in touch with the embassy first. – phoog Oct 3 '16 at 14:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.