I am non-US and non-EU national employed in USA with a non-immigrant J1 visa. My spouse is a Netherlands resident and that's why I am eligible for getting a dutch dependent visa. After getting the visa, I have to register in Netherlands as a resident. But can I hold both visa simultaneously i.e. remain employed in US with J1 visa and use the dutch dependent visa to show as a resident in Netherlands?

  • 1
    Of course you can, why not? Just be careful of the tax implications of registering as a resident in the NL when you actually reside in the US. Also, if you hold a dependent visa but aren't actually residing in the Netherlands, is it really necessary to register? I would think it isn't, that you only need to register if you're living there. Maybe you can get a regular Schengen visa for the time when you're living in the US and visiting your wife occasionally.
    – phoog
    Oct 1 '16 at 15:49
  • @phoog registering as soon as possible would allow OP to get permanent residency (and then citizenship) faster. Jul 23 '17 at 6:17
  • @phoog also it should be noted that residency and tax residency are two different things. So OP won't necessarily be hurt by any tax implications. Jul 23 '17 at 6:22
  • 1
    @JonathanReez they're not necessarily the same, but, for example, in Italy as I understand it, if you're registered as a resident then you're liable for.income tax regardless of your physical presence. It's possible, indeed likely, that the same is true in the Netherlands. There's also as I understand a requirement to deregister when you move out of the Netherlands, which implies it's at least improper to register when you don't live there.
    – phoog
    Jul 23 '17 at 11:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.