I have an offer from a German employer and the salary is 63K Euros. I am in India right now, and want to understand the correct visa process and ability to work in Germany.

During a conversation with an HR person, I was told to obtain a travel visa which is valid for 3 months. When this visa is granted, I'm supposed to travel to Germany and complete my joining formalities. After that, they will initiate a process for obtaining my Blue Card, which will allow me to remain in Germany and work.

I have not heard of this procedure before. I did some research on the Blue Card, and it looked alright, but I'm still concerned.

Here are the answers that I want to know.

  1. What kind of visa would be raised when I have to travel from India to Germany? Is it the same as Schengen visa?
  2. Is this visa process legitimate? I mean, the process of getting a visa to travel from India to Germany and then applying for a Bluecard.
  3. How much money would be required to be shown in account to obtain the visa for travel from India to Germany?
  • 2
    I would never accept such offer. A serious company wouldn't bring you on a tourist Visa. There are 2 reasons they want to do in this way. First they want you to come as soon as possible, and start working for them. I suppose they want you to work in you "intermediate", tourist visa, right? Secondly, they want you to come as a tourist, and take a look at you, evaluate if they really want to work with you, and they can trust you, then they go ahead and apply your visa. Anyways, I have a bad gut feeling from this deal Don't think twice, tell them you can only go with the proper way Oct 2, 2016 at 11:30
  • @HelloWorldGuy travel.stackexchange.com/a/79958/41775
    – Fiksdal
    Oct 2, 2016 at 11:51
  • 2
    @HelloWorldGuy Actually nobody mentioned a tourist visa.
    – Gala
    Oct 2, 2016 at 23:17
  • 2
    @HelloWorldGuy the company has no say in the matter. These immigration procedures are determined by German law.
    – phoog
    Oct 3, 2016 at 2:05
  • 1
    @Gala you're right. It's a German thing. This is it: anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html
    – simbabque
    Oct 9, 2016 at 10:23

1 Answer 1


Getting a visa to enter the country and then applying for the actual residence permit is the regular procedure for (prospective) EU Blue card holders in Germany (and in many other EU countries). From the ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Die Blaue Karte EU wird in Deutschland ausschließlich von den Ausländerbehörden ausgestellt. Visumpflichtigen Drittstaatern wird für die Einreise in den Fällen, in denen ein Anspruch auf die Erteilung der Blauen Karte EU besteht, ein nationales Visum zur Beschäftigungseinreise von der jeweils zuständigen deutschen Auslandsvertretung erteilt. Das Visum wird nach der Einreise von der zuständigen Ausländerbehörde durch eine Blaue Karte EU ersetzt.

The only question is which specific visa you need. The three-month validity you mention in your question suggests they are thinking about a short-stay Schengen visa and I am not completely sure this would be the right visa.

  • 1
    You are absolutely right, it is the regular procedure. A Schengen visa cannot be issued for more than 3 months of uninterrupted stay, so this is fine as well. The point of this visa is that the person should get it to enter Germany and have enough time (3 months) to prepare the documents and apply for the residence permit (Blue Card). Nov 20, 2017 at 11:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.