I'm tagging this Spain, but I suspect they're not the only country doing this. Three-page info sheet on visa application for long-stay includes:

Only applications IN PERSON are accepted …
… process may take approximately 2 months from the day all documents are presented …
ORIGINAL and ONE PHOTOCOPY of each of the following …
3. Original Passport: Valid passp…. Your passport may remain at the Consulate.
8. House property or leasing contract in Spain.

So, if I take this literally, I am supposed to buy a round-trip ticket, skip classes to go to to Spain, find a house or apartment, buy it or sign a lease, return to USA and go in person to the consulate to seek permission to go live in it?  And I have to tell the seller or landlord that if I get permission, I won't move in for at least two months?

And I'm told that I can't buy or rent without a bank account and an NIE, and can't get a bank account or NIE¹ without an address.

I know there are Americans and other non-Spanish living there, so it must not be as silly as it sounds. Advice?

¹Número de Identificación de Extranjero (Foreigner's ID number)

closed as unclear what you're asking by Giorgio, Dipen Shah, ouflak, mts, Scott Earle Aug 18 '17 at 3:15

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Where did you get this info? The only hit on google for your 8. appears to be a retirement residence visa, which wouldn't tend to be aimed at anybody who has classes to skip. – nkjt Oct 2 '16 at 10:05
  • 2
    It would be easier to help if you told us about what kind of visa you're trying to get. However, a lot of countries do this. French student visas involve this, for example. – la femme cosmique Oct 2 '16 at 11:02
  • 1
    Surprise, surprise! Retired, 62 years young, and going to linguistics classes five days a week. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. So they only do it for retirees? Hmmmm. What you found is probably the same document I found, or the equivalent from another embassy. IIRC, the Spanish version from the Spanish government website said the same thing. – WGroleau Oct 2 '16 at 13:35
  • As you have probably just read above, it's a visa for long-stay for someone retired. But that's not relevant to the question of how to handle restrictions that are on more than one type of visa. – WGroleau Oct 2 '16 at 13:40
  • 1
    Is it asking for proof of ownership or lease as a pre-requisite, or simply information on what you may have already have bought or rented in advance of the move to Spain? – Giorgio Oct 2 '16 at 17:34

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.