While looking for flats to rent I saw that someone aks for a SCHUFA. What do I need to do in that case?

2 Answers 2


It’s been a while (five years, to be exact) since I last applied for a flat. However, in my limited experience it is not you who provides the Schufa exerpt. Rather, you sign a slip giving the landlord permission to perform a Schufa lookup. The landlord then requests the details, submitting why he needs them, Schufa checks if they have a file on you and if so forwards only the information the landlord needs to know in a rather basic form.

You can also check your own Schufa record. This requires filling out a form from the respective site, printing it, adding a return envelope with your address and sufficient stamps (iirc) and then sending it by mail. They will send you a much more detailed breakdown of their data on you, including who requested a lookup when. Under no circumstances should this extensive data be forwarded to the landlord.


As a prospective tenant, the landlord is expecting you to obtain a credit report, through the German credit bureau, SCHUFA.

  • One question: in the second page of the document you linked, they ask for a "copy of official residency certificate", but how do I get it if I am still looking for a flat?
    – Rhei
    Oct 10, 2016 at 19:15
  • Are you in Germany on a visa, and will there for more than three months? If so, foreigners (from outside the EU) apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) at the local Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde).
    – Giorgio
    Oct 10, 2016 at 19:30
  • I will move to Germany in a week, but I am still looking for a flat..the fact is that many of the Ads I find on the internet asks for this SCHUFA. I tried contacting the owners even if I do not have a SCHUFA, but they never answer and I though the problem might have been the missing SCHUFA
    – Rhei
    Oct 10, 2016 at 19:34
  • 1
    Then check at the German Embassy or consulate in your country to see if you're able to directly apply for a residence permit before you depart for Germany (possible in some locations, not all).
    – Giorgio
    Oct 10, 2016 at 19:41
  • 2
    Yes, easier as an EU citizen, you just need a registration certificate (Meldeschein) which you get at the Registry Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) in the city neighborhood you intend to settle. Everyone does this, Germans included.
    – Giorgio
    Oct 10, 2016 at 19:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.