I have been living in Germany since 2010 with a permanent residence card, which must be renewed every 2 years.

My passport expired in August, so the same happened with my residence card, because of the bureaucracy of my country I requested the new passport in advance (end of April) but am still waiting and the embassy just put a stamp on my old expired passport making it valid for another year

Germany is waiting for the new pass (is a new pass number) to give me a new residence card for another 2 year.

Can I go in December for Christmas to Peru and Paraguay and then come back to Germany with no immigration issues?

  • 3
    I think the answer is simply "No". As far as coming to Europe is concerned, the best case scenario is getting some sort of visa or reentry permit if you can't renew your resident card in time but you would still need a passport to put it in, board the plane, etc. and Germany tend to be quite strict with these things. Entering Peru and Paraguay could also be complicated (assuming you are a citizen of one of them, at the very list the other country). – Relaxed Oct 20 '16 at 17:51
  • Are you asking about going to Peru/Paraguay or coming back to Germany? What country are you a citizen of? Marking as unclear until you specify. – mts Oct 20 '16 at 19:49
  • 2
    To rephrase @Relaxed's comment somewhat: even a valid German residence card would be insufficient documentation for this trip (or most likely for any flight external to the Schengen zone). You need a valid passport. – phoog Oct 20 '16 at 19:49
  • @mts the question may be unclear, but the answer is clearly no in any case, as Relaxed has mentioned in his comment. – phoog Oct 20 '16 at 19:50
  • @phoog no doubt about that, even though the embassy put a stamp into it making it valid again, putting the passport into a weird (quantum?!) superposition of valid and invalid - or a Zombie/undead passport if you prefer (but I'm not so fluent in the lingo there) - i.e. it is not Schrödinger's cat but Schrödingers passport. And from Q I deduce the Germans don't do quantum passporting and the residence card remains invalid (what about the permit) and OP is advised to avoid any type of passport control at all cost until he gets his documents in order. Was just wondering if it's better for Expats. – mts Oct 20 '16 at 19:55

No, you cannot travel outside the Schengen area without a valid passport. Likewise you cannot enter the Schengen area without a valid visa, unless your passport allows you visa-free entry into the Schengen area.

  • 3
    what about the fact that the embassy just put a stamp on my old expired passport making it valid for another year, then I can go out and in... – ΦXocę 웃 Пepeúpa ツ Oct 22 '16 at 18:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.