I have a Master’s degree, and want to apply for PhD. I want to find a position during the gap year. It is also possible to do 2 years. But I am not in USA or Canada. So, How do I find a research assistant position? Is it possible for unpaid job to get an visa?

  • Note that this is an exact duplicate of a question in academia. I answered the first half of the question regarding academics. Answers here should focus on the issue of visas for unpaid jobs.
    – RoboKaren
    Oct 24, 2016 at 4:26
  • @RoboKaren Thanks for the reminder. I have edit the question and the content
    – Rasituwrt
    Oct 24, 2016 at 4:44
  • 3
    There are severe limits to 'unpaid' jobs in the United States. We have a long bitter, tragic and complicated history with the concept. I seriously doubt you will even find an unpaid job that lasts a year, much less a visa for such.
    – ouflak
    Oct 24, 2016 at 6:39
  • 1
    @ouflak actually, if the work is typically unpaid, it can be done in visitor status. But since research assistants are typically paid, they require a visa type that allows employment, even if they have an unpaid position.
    – phoog
    Oct 24, 2016 at 9:30


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.