I found some information here on the Eur-Lex page but was not sure about it.

A friend has a permanent residence from Germany, if he moves with it to another EU country for a new job, can he convert his PR to the second country's PR, or he has to go through the whole process again?


You may want to look at http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/legal-migration/long-term-residents/index_en.htm as well; this is the page describing long term residency for the general public rather than for a law audience.

The German permanent resident is entitled to a residence permit in another EU country, but does not immediately become a permanent resident in that country. Instead, the permanent resident retains a right to return to Germany. After living in the second country for five years, the resident can apply for permanent residence in the second country. When that status is granted, the German permanent residence ceases.

If the person remains outside the state of permanent residence for six years, the right of permanent residence is lost, even if it has not been acquired elsewhere.

This is controlled by directive 2003/109/EC, especially chapter III. Chapter III also provides for certain conditions that can be imposed for the issuance of a residence permit.

A few EU countries have opted out of this directive, so this answer does not apply to those countries. As noted in paragraphs 25 and 26 of the preamble, the countries opting out of the directive are the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Denmark.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer. Just a following quick question, how long the person can work in a second country and can still come back to Germany having his right as you mentioned. Does he/she have to explicitly state to the local authorities before leaving? Also, is there a list of EU countries which have opted out somewhere? Thanks – Sukhi Oct 31 '16 at 21:07
  • 1
    @SukhdeepSingh the person's German residence permit, indicating permanent residence, is evidence of having the status of a permanent resident in Germany. I don't know whether Germany has a requirement to de-register from the municipality when going abroad, but if they do, failing to do it should not of itself invalidate a person's permanent residence status. I have added the list of countries. If the person hasn't acquired permanent residence in another country, permanent residence is lost after six years of absence from the country; I've included that in the answer as well. – phoog Oct 31 '16 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.