Due to threats in my home country, I ran away from my country. I went to Qatar on a tourist visa. But I need long-term shelter. I worked in politics in my home country.

Can someone help me on writing this as a letter in meaningful way?

1 Answer 1


You may have a difficulty directly seeking asylum in Qatar. According to the United Nations High Commission on Refugees (UNHCR)

The State of Qatar has not ratified either the 1951 Convention on the Status of Refugees or its 1967 Protocol (hereinafter jointly referred to as the 1951 Refugee Convention).

Qatar has not adopted any national protection mechanisms for asylum-seekers and refugees.

Qatar is not a State party to the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons or the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.

The functional responsibilities for all aspects related to refugee status determination in Qatar are carried out by UNHCR from its office in Saudi Arabia:

Address your request to:

The UNHCR Regional Representative in Saudi Arabia
P.O.Box 94003, 11693 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: 966 11 488 0049 Facsimile: 966 11 482 8737
Email: [email protected]

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.