I am working in the USA on an H-1B visa with my family. My visa got recently extended to 3 years and I got a valid I-797. I am planning to visit India to get a new visa in my passport. However, my family needs to stay here.

What happens to my family if my visa stamping is rejected in India? Do they immediately leave USA? Or can they stay?

  • Should your visa not be re-stamped, your family's H-4 would no longer be valid and they would have to leave the US immediately.
    – Giorgio
    Nov 8, 2016 at 1:56
  • @Dorothy: How many days they have to leave US Immediately?
    – Babu
    Nov 8, 2016 at 2:32
  • 3
    USCIS doesn't say how many days; immediately suggests that it would mean days, not weeks. Since your visa was extended, and you got the I-797, why are you worried about the re-stamping? It sounds as though everything is in order.
    – Giorgio
    Nov 8, 2016 at 3:29
  • 1
    @Dorothy: "Should your visa not be re-stamped, your family's H-4 would no longer be valid" Do you have any source on that?
    – user102008
    Nov 8, 2016 at 19:17
  • 1
    @user102008 - H-4's are dependent visas and reference the H-1B as primary. There's no way an H-4 would remain valid if the H-1B it depends on is not renewed.
    – brhans
    Nov 8, 2016 at 21:38

1 Answer 1


Should your H-1B visa not be re-stamped, your family's H-4 visas would no longer be valid. Their visas are dependent on the primary visa holder's status, alone. Should you, the primary, no longer have a valid visa, they could not remain in the country. USCIS Nonimmigrant Services uses the word 'immediately' but does not further define it in terms of hours/days/weeks.

  • I don't see anything in the document you linked to that supports your assertion. Can you elaborate?
    – phoog
    Aug 3, 2017 at 0:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.