I'm not currently a PhD student but I'm seeking out ways to gain work experience while studying PhD as a Chinese citizen. I read that F-1 visa is just for study, not work. Are there any ways for international students on F-1 visa to work off-campus?


No, the F1 student visa does not permit off campus employment during the first year studying in the US. After a year, US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) may give permission to work off-campus, but only in specified types of employment, all of which has to be directly related to the student’s major area of study.


F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.