Some background:

My boyfriend works for the US Airforce and is posted at RAF Mildenhall. I am a British Citizen. His contract expires on 23rd November 2018 and he wants to stay in the UK. I am in the process of buying a house with only my name on the mortgage, where he will be informally renting from me.

It looks like our best option is for me to sponsor him for a "partner of a settled person" Visa (as I earn over £18,500 but he does not) until he can apply for British citizenship.

My concern:

A "partner of a settled person" Visa requires proof that you have been in a relationship for 2 years. We have been dating since November 2015 but he has been living in his dorm and I with my parents. However proof that you have been in a relationship constitutes of a joint bank account or post going to the same address, neither of which will likely be done until January when we move into the house.

Does any one have experience here? Are there are better options? How stringently is the 2 years defined, does a month or two make a difference?

closed as too broad by Giorgio, ouflak, Mark Mayo Aug 20 '17 at 6:39

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    I think you have to have lived together for two years; at least that is how it works for EU/EEA unmarried partners. It may be different in your case as you will be working with the UK immigration rules rather than EU regulations. If it's the same as with the EU regulations, though, your relationship won't qualify unless you register as civil partners or marry. – phoog Nov 22 '16 at 19:52