I am a Canadian who develops video games that run on a USA based game website. I plan on moving to Japan for 2 years to study Japanese as a student! I'm trying to figure out if I am allowed to continue doing my work whilst in Japan?

I develop video games for a video game portal, and if my games do well, I get paid more, and if they don't do well, I could make nothing. (So I'm not technically an employee, I am paid via PayPal as a contractor)

Any information would be appreciated!

  • 1
    What kind of visa would you be staying under? – deceze Dec 13 '16 at 6:49
  • @deceze A student visa – user2293281 Dec 13 '16 at 7:18
  • AFAIK you can work part time (some 28h/week) as a student. I'm no expert on whether there are any additional catches. Practically speaking, it'll be hard for anyone to proof how much you actually worked if you're working freelance on your own. – deceze Dec 13 '16 at 7:40
  • Since you aren't working for a Japanese company --> employed in Japan, then the employment restriction doesn't apply to you. – squidlydeux Nov 1 '18 at 12:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.