I am applying for a J1 visa for the US. I am studying in Switzerland but I am not a permanent resident there. I am German.

To apply for the visa, to which embassy/consulate do I need to go?

Since I am German and my German home address is my permanent one I would assume that I would have to go to a German consulate.

Is this correct?


1 Answer 1


As stated on the US Travel Docs website:

"Applicants are generally advised to apply in their country of nationality or residence. Any person who is legally present in Switzerland may apply for a visa in Switzerland"

As such, you can apply either in Switzerland or Germany.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.