For example if you hold an F1 visa and you want to study abroad (Australia for example) for one semester ?

  • It seems that even if you take a leave for more than 5 months, as long as you're registered and endorsed by the school's international office (e.g. research), you should be fine and will not need a new I20. See ufic.ufl.edu/iss/currentF1studentsLOA.html – xji Jan 9 '17 at 9:43

Based on the information here, it looks like the answer is yes if you stay 5 months or less. The US doesn't care if you have an Australian visa.

However, you need to get the approval of the designated school official (DSO) who will endorse your I-20 for travel, and make sure your SEVIS record is up-to-date.

You also need to make sure that your original entry visa is still valid, or obtain a new one to re-enter the US. Simply being in F-1 status is not enough.

Your passport (depending on its country of origin) should also be valid for at least 6 months when you re-enter the US.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.