I have Italian citizenship, and would like to know what documents do I need in order to be able to sign a rental contract in Brussels.

  • I don't know how things are in Brussels but in Antwerpen, as you're a member of UE, you just need your passport number. But it depends with kind rental contract you'll do. Directly with the owner, real state agency...and you'll need to pay at least 2 months rental in advance.
    – user11189
    Feb 15, 2017 at 9:44

2 Answers 2


After doing some research on the Belgium's official work site, I found an article talking about foreigner who want to work in Belgium.

You need to take with you:

-The visa for your stay in Belgium.

-The work permission document from Belgium (which is called "permis de travail").

-Your driving license.


  • 1
    Do you have a source/reference for this?
    – Gagravarr
    Jan 5, 2017 at 5:25
  • Yes I mentionned the web site where I found this answer. This is emploi.belgique.be/defaultTab.aspx?id=4888.
    – Vinz Sfr
    Jan 7, 2017 at 13:07
  • -1 Being Italian, OP doesn't need a visa or a working permission. That article is for non-EU/EEA citizens, as the "Présentation" part says. Aug 5, 2017 at 21:53

I'm an EU national as well, and I only needed my national ID card for the landlord to verify my identity. We used this model contract, which as you can see, only requires your name and address.

I also had to sign forms (in quadruplicate!) for transitioning the utility contracts, which asked for my residence registration number. I didn't have one at the time (the process can take a while), but the utility's call center assured me I didn't need to fill that in, and I didn't receive any complaints from them after submitting the documents.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.