I am struggling to work out the appropriate visa to apply for.

My situation is as follows:

I am currently completing my Masters of Social work in Australia as a full time student. A compulsory part of the degree is a 500 hour (roughly 3 month) unpaid placement within an organisation I am planning to complete this in New York with an organisation that has indicated their willingness to take me on for 500 hours as required by my Australian university. I am unsure of the correct visa to apply for as I will not be engaged with any American university (student visa), nor will I be a paid worker of the organisation (working visa).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

  • Is the organization a US corporation or is it an international organization (for example a UN agency)?
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 11, 2017 at 12:22
  • Duplicate on Travel where there are two answers.
    – mkennedy
    Commented Jan 11, 2017 at 18:59

1 Answer 1


Based on the Travel site accepted answer

  1. If you want to stay as a visitor in the United States over 90 days you need a B1/B2 visa.

  2. The volunteer situation is well described in https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/47943/is-volunteer-work-allowed-in-the-us-while-visting-under-the-vwp (VWP or B1/B2 is the same):

The most significant restriction is that you can only volunteer to do things that are normally done on a voluntary basis, i.e. without pay.

You also can't do "anything that would benefit a commercial enterprise", and there are restrictions on things like unpaid internships. However assuming that the Planetary Society of Pasadena is a not-for-profit you should be fine.

See links at that answer.

In my opinion, and understand that I am not an USCIS officer and I do not even play one on TV, you have a pretty solid case to get this visa if

  1. you can provide credible proof you have enough funds for a stay in New York this long. At least $20 a night for accommodation (expect to live in a cupboard under the stairs) and at least $10 to eat a day (hope you like ramen, anything better will be rare at $10). A more realistic number is $50 a day, at least. So 3000 or rather 5000 USD at 100 days.

  2. the organization provides a letter, preferably notarized, stating their intent towards your placement and their non-profit status.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.