I lived in Canada last year. I did a NETFILE system through an online tax company, and it came up with an error. I tried again, and it still errored, but then returned me to the home page, where it says my return was 'printed and filed'.

This makes me uneasy, as at no point did they say 'yay, success' or anything along those lines.

Is there a way to check with CRA from outside the country to see if your return has been filed successfully? I'd hate to get stuck with a late filing.

  • 2
    I'll let people who used it answer but My Account should let you do this.
    – Karlson
    Commented Apr 30, 2014 at 12:49

1 Answer 1


As @Karlson mentioned, you can certainly check this through your CRA "My Account for Individuals".

If you haven't registered for a CRA login yet, you can either create one (which means they mail you your PIN) or try signing in via one of their sign-in partners. They currently include:

  • BMO Financial Group
  • Scotiabank
  • Tangerine
  • TD Bank Group
  • 1
    @MarkMayo: Make sure that you do not lose your copies of earlier tax returns during the move, since you need to input specific information from the tax return to get an account. Also, I was informed at the end that I needed to call them - maybe because I am no longer living there? - I've put that off for now, but will update once I do it if needed.
    – Jonas
    Commented May 15, 2014 at 10:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.