Can anyone share more information about the process of buying a car privately in Austria?
My understanding so far is that I have to:
- Pay the seller for the vehicle in return for the documentation and service history, proof of ownership (Auto-Kaufvertrag example 1 | example 2), and Pickerl (proof of roadworthiness).
- Take this information to the office of a nearby insurer, where I pay tax and insurance in return for obtaining licence plates for the car.
- Return to the car with the plates and collect the keys from the owner.
- If insured fully comprehensive, I then have to get the car inspected at either the ÖAMTC or ARBÖ car clubs, or at the office of the insurer. (Until inspected it appears that insurance is only third-party, or subject to a higher excess.)
- Buy an Autobahn Vignette to use the car on motorways.
- Is my understanding of this correct?
- If I buy the car in another region, such as Vienna, can I obtain plates in Vienna for another region of Austria? Or do I have to register it in Vienna, then pay extra to re-register the vehicle in my home city?