My civil partner is making an application to move to the UK and be with me. I live in the UK and I have an Italian passport. I am self-employed but I don't have an EEA National Registration Number. I am here legally, exercising my rights, and have had no issues. I have an NI number, company, insurance etc. I pay council tax and so on.

Now the form is asking her for my EEA National Registration Number, which I don't have, and it won't let her progress in the application unless she puts something in there starting with an 'X'. Has anyone had this problem and actually solved it? Do I need to make this EEA registration number application? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

  • What form is she filling out?
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 5, 2018 at 19:10
  • She s filling out an EEA Family Permit
    – GianC
    Commented Apr 6, 2018 at 19:20
  • At which site? If it's not at visa4uk.fco.gov.uk, she's filling out the wrong form. In any event, you're not required to have the certificate for her to get the permit.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 6, 2018 at 19:51
  • I just filled out an application there and put "none" for the certificate number; it allowed me to get to the next page. It also allowed me to "confirm" the application. I did not actually submit it, however.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 6, 2018 at 20:19
  • @phoog Thank you for the info. We just put my N.I number in the box. Someone advised us at the embassy to do that. I will wait to make my application until she gets here. It also appears that they want my original passport which would prove to be a problem since I need it to work.
    – GianC
    Commented Apr 6, 2018 at 20:23

1 Answer 1


When I filled out an EEA family permit application for my mother in law, with my wife as the EEA national, we supplied "none" for the registration certificate number.

If you apply for a registration certificate along with your wife's residence card application, you will be able to use the European passport return service, which seems like the least stressful way to proceeed, especially as you note in a comment that you need your passport for work. But even then, she can get her residence card without your getting a residence certificate.

If you've been in the UK for over five years, you might want to get a certificate of permanent residence, as that will possibly give you greater rights when the UK leaves the EU.

  • note that (as of 5/6/2018) the certificate of permanent residence will be explicitly void once Britain leaves the EU - and there's nothing to replace it yet. The only reason you might want to obtain that if you wish to apply for citizenship (before Brexit), as it's a prerequisite
    – SztupY
    Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 21:30
  • @SztupY do you have a government source with that information?
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 21:31
  • yep it's on gov.uk: gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate/permanent-residence "If you already have a permanent residence document it won’t be valid after the UK leaves the EU." The new "settlement" status will take it's place but it hasn't been approved or voted on.
    – SztupY
    Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 21:33
  • @SztupY given that "A new scheme will be available for EU citizens and their family members to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU," and the details of that scheme are, as you note, unknown, there's another reason to get a certificate: it might be helpful to establish one's eligibility for the replacement scheme. It just as well might not be helpful for that purpose, of course, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 5, 2018 at 21:37
  • the UK strongly insisted during the EU talks that the PR is completely useless post-Brexit, so I'm still unsure whether a PR cert is useful at this stage unless you actually need it before Brexit. Also the new status are said to be much easier to obtain than a PR (e.g. no requirement to have health insurance if you're not a worker). The only thing the EU insisted that obtaining settlement status should be free if you already have a PR, but we don't know whether a PR status would be enough on it's own when filling out the settlement status form, as we don't yet know how it will look like
    – SztupY
    Commented Jun 6, 2018 at 9:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.