I just got approved for the Working Holiday visa for Canada and unfortunately I can get a work permit that is only 6 months long as I have Italian citizenship (so unlucky, to think that it's the only country in the list to have less than 12 months...).

I would like to stay in Canada for longer and maybe settle there. Would there be a possibility to extend the work permit and eventually get permanent residency considering that I do not have a bachelor's degree?

  • You can find an employer who is ready to sponsor you and file an LMIA on your behalf. That's one of the many possible ways to get Permanent residency.
    – Dipen Shah
    Commented Jul 12, 2018 at 11:17

1 Answer 1


One year and a half later I have the answer.

If your employer doesn't want to sponsor you with an LMIA, you still have other easier options to extend your stay, even without a bachelor's degree.

Tha catch is you need some money.

You can apply for a repeat participation of the Working Holiday with the help of a Recognized Organization - even if Canada does not normally allow that for your country of origin.

With a Recognized Organization, anybody from almost any country can apply for:

The requirements for the listed visas are the same as if you applied by yourself. The only difference is that you'll have to pay a fee to the Recognized Organization and that can range from $500 CAD to $3000 CAD or more (it increases a bit every year).

Other (more difficult) options where higher education is not required are:

There are also many other immigration programs specific to each province that can help you.

All of the above does not apply to Quebec.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.