I will soon start a job in the UK under a "skilled worker visa". Unfortunately, the visa process takes longer than anticipated, but my future employer is okay with delaying my start date as long as it takes. I am a EU citizen, and there is effectively zero chance of being denied the visa, the paperwork just takes time.

Question: Can I enter the UK as a tourist and effectively have a vacation until my work visa and job starts? After all, my housing in the UK is already paid for anyway.


1 Answer 1


General considerations answer (check what applies to EU citizens traveling to the UK):

  • What first needs to be checked here is the formalities to accomplish after entering the UK and beginning to work (in terms of residence/work permit, medical insurance, etc.) You might be required legally to enter with your work visa and have it stamped/validated at the entry point. This wouldn't prevent you from vacationing - you will just have to leave the UK and re-enter with the appropriate visa.
  • A practical consideration is whether you have an appropriate travel document on hand - that is your passport is not in the embassy or, if it is, that you are allowed to enter the UK without passport, e.g., with the EU identity card.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.