In the next few weeks I will be moving to Amsterdam to work for an indefinite amount of time. To apply for the 30% ruling in the Netherlands I need some sort of government form that says I have been a South African resident for the last 24 months. Where would I get such a form and what would it be called?

I have be to my local Home Affairs office and was told they could give me a Declaration of Citizenship but I have been told that this is not the correct form. So what would the correct form be?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: For future South Africans needing this information, if you have been working for two or more years go to SARS and ask for your tax number, a form will be given to you with your registration date, address and tax number. This is a valid proof of residence for Netherlands 30% Ruling :)

  • Thanks Dean for the edit, just the info I was looking for!
    – Will777
    Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 5:05

1 Answer 1


Below are examples of what can be accepted as a proof of residence:

Recent Utility Bill (i.e. telephone, gas, electric) (Please note that a mobile phone bill will not be accepted as a valid Proof of Residence). Recent Bank Statement, Recent Mortgage Statement, Signed Lease Agreement still within term Bank, Investment Letter, Rental checks, Credit card, Pay check stub Rent payment, voter registration card.

A utility bill shows you get service at that address under your name, it's usually accepted, but not always - it has to be accompanied by a photo id with the same address to get your credit report.


THIS LINK is an example of how you can prove your residence through Voter registration card!

  • Thank you, I see you mentioned "voter registration card." I think this will be the easiest either that or a bank statement.
    – DeanMWake
    Commented Jun 12, 2016 at 8:38
  • I edited the answer, so if you decide to proof your residence through Voter's registration card you can refer to that link.. Good luck!
    – user8725
    Commented Jun 12, 2016 at 9:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.