I'm a U.S citizen who can't obtain a U.S. passport. I want to move to Panama (prepared to give up us citizenship) and obtain a Panamanian passport to move about freely. I have employment opportunities and am financially sound.

How is this done?

  • 1
    Pay your bills! Mar 27, 2017 at 5:53
  • 4
    We'd need to know why you can't obtain a U.S. passport. I suspect though that you would not be able to enter Panama without a passport no matter what the reasons are. @LorenPechtel, we don't know why he can't obtain a passport. The OP might be very conscientious about 'paying their bills'.
    – ouflak
    Mar 27, 2017 at 6:34
  • Do you have (or can obtain) another country's nationality? If so, you can travel on that country's passport.
    – user102008
    Mar 28, 2017 at 19:02

1 Answer 1


Generally, the only way to do this is illegally. The discussion of illegal activities is frowned upon.

(I am not trying to be judgmental, I only mean that the reasons why a citizen of the US can't get a US passport are generally because the authorities do not want the person to leave. Therefore, the person wishing to leave can only do so against the wishes of the authorities - which means doing it illegally)

  • 1
    Another option is to get asylum, but that assumes a legitimate asylum claim, which is unlikely for someone from the US. If asylum is granted, the person is immune from prosecution for immigration violations committed in reaching the country granting asylum.
    – phoog
    Mar 26, 2017 at 16:23
  • 1
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only grounds for asylum to be granted are if one's life would otherwise be in danger. Because of the strong rule of law in the US, as well as its generally transparent legal system, I don't see how that criterion could reasonably be met.
    – Scott Earle
    Mar 26, 2017 at 16:37
  • 2
    You're wrong: Fear of persecution can be the basis of an asylum claim; it need not rise to the level of fear for one's life. But you're also right, of course: It's highly unlikely for a US citizen to have a viable claim.
    – phoog
    Mar 26, 2017 at 21:26
  • 1
    You might want to add that Panama and the US have an extradition treaty. Panama, of late, avoids the lengthy process by simply deporting the individual if they're in Panama illegally. Using a fake passport is included, and for that, Panama immediately deports.
    – Giorgio
    Mar 27, 2017 at 15:50
  • "the reasons why a citizen of the US can't get a US passport are generally because the authorities do not want the person to leave" Or if the person has back child support or back taxes, or if the person hasn't paid expenses incurred for a return from a foreign country at government expense.
    – user102008
    Mar 28, 2017 at 19:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.