I've just got my Hungarian birth certificate and my residency card. I'm now in Budapest but I'm about to leave permanently to France. I'd like to do a health insurance as a EU citizen but I don't know how. I heard that there's a card called EHIC, but I don't know how to do it or where to pay for it. I'm open also for other options.

How can I do a health insurance that will hold in France as well?

1 Answer 1


The EU/EEA has a coordination system for social security (which includes national health insurance). One of the fundamental rules of this system is that you are always subject to exactly one national social/health insurance system. Which country you are insured in is determined by a set of rules or (in complicated cases) by a decision of the relevant national authority. You do not get to choose where to pay your health insurance.

As a few examples, you will be insured in the country where:

  • You work (if you work as an employee or a self-employed person in only one country)
  • You live (if you work in multiple states simultaneously)
  • You worked last (if you're unemployed and e.g. receiving unemployment benefit after being employed somewhere)
  • You live (if you're unemployed and not receiving any benefits or you have never worked anywhere in the EU/EEA)


The country where you are insured will also issue you an EHIC card. This card entitles you to urgent healthcare in any other EU/EEA state. It does not give you full health coverage (including non-urgent care) everywhere. However, in some cases, you can be fully covered in multiple countries at the same time, for example if you're a cross-border worker (returning home at least weekly).


Depending on your exact circumstances and your current status, you may first get a Hungarian EHIC card which you would then have to return when you move to France, where you will get a French EHIC. Or if you're going to move really soon, you may get to skip the Hungarian part completely.

  • i'm flying tomorrow for 4 years. On the site of the french EHIC service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F213 it's written I need a 13-digits social security number. Is it written on my residency card?
    – Heisenberg
    Mar 28, 2018 at 5:18
  • That's something called NIR, which you will get when you register for health/social insurance (or your employer registers you). See fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – TooTea
    Mar 28, 2018 at 13:32
  • @Heisenberg You don't need en EHIC to receive care in France if you are insured through the French insurance system (as is likely to be the case, as TooTea explained).
    – Relaxed
    Sep 13, 2018 at 22:07
  • 1
    @TooTea It's useful to know that nobody calls it that in practice. "Numéro de sécurité sociale” or, typically, “numéro de sécu” is what people use.
    – Relaxed
    Sep 13, 2018 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.