During my interview at my regional prefecture for application for French nationality (dual in fact because I hold a British passport in my married name) the interviewer noticed that I had omitted to include my married name on the first page of my application form. Only my maiden name was entered. She queried this and said that should I be granted French nationality it was likely that my French ID card would be in my maiden name.

Although I have been divorced for over 30 years I still use my married name. Is it possible to ask for both names to appear on my new card and who should I write to about this?


I'm not sure it would possible, since you're been, and France considers that you don't have a link to that name any longer. However, generally speaking if you want to a family name to your ID papers (ID card, passport), there's a line or two in the form for a request to add an extra name. Usually it's called a nom d'usage, and would appear after your last name. Say your maiden name is Davies, and your ex-husband is Smith, were the request to be accepted, your family name would read:

Davies, usage Davies-Smith

However, I have never seen a naturalisation form, so I've no clue whether this is an option or not. What you can try to do is when applying for a French passport, and fill out the optional lines for the extra name request. But whether this will be accepted is another story.

  • On the naturalisation form, as far as I am aware, they only accept Francisations of names. So I think she could change her name to Françoise, but I don't think she could change her Anglicised name. There are rules to the Francisation of names, but I don't know what they are. Jul 1 '18 at 11:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.