I'm Ukrainian and I hold valid polish residence permit. However, I got accepted for the graduate study program in Germany, which lasts more than 6 months. Am I allowed to enter Germany using polish temporary residence permit and apply for german residence permit after entering? Or am I obligated to apply for german visa in order to enter Germany for study purposes?

1 Answer 1


No, you have to apply for a German student visa before you move to Germany. If you cross the border and try to get a Residence permit, you will be denied one as the paperwork in the German side is not available, since you didn't apply for a visa.

Getting a German visa inside the EU should not take long (around 2-3 weeks).

Additional information from here: https://polen.diplo.de/pl-de/03-service/03-02-visainfo-en/visum-brauche/478860

As long as you are not a citizen of a country whose citizenship allows you to enter Germany freely (please check the list of states below), you are residing legally in Poland (e.g. Karta pobytu, D-Visa) and you plan to stay in Germany for more than 3 months (family reunion, studying) or to work in Germany, you need a visa for entering the country.

  • Citizens of a small number of countries can apply for a German residence permit in Germany without first getting a visa (but Ukraine is not one of those countries).
    – phoog
    Feb 9, 2019 at 18:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.