I have completed four years in Canada and as a permanent resident, I was thinking of applying for citizenship. Do I need to do a test to prove my English speaking skills? I scored 109/120 on a TOEFL internet based test 12 years ago and I have a Masters degree from the UK. Being from a non- English speaking country, should I still prove my proficiency in English? If so, what are cheap options I can use to fulfill the requirement.


1 Answer 1


I scored 109/120 on a TOEFL internet based test 12 years ago

Now, the 12 years ago won't matter, my ten year old IELTS test was accepted just fine but https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=572 doesn't list the TOEFL and states

We don’t accept any other third-party test results, even if they’re similar.

Continuing on,

I have a Masters degree from the UK

That's great! https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=573 says

You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement.

Wishing you best of luck.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.