• I am a Turkish citizen living and working in Germany. I don't have a Blue Card.
  • My wife is also a Turkish citizen living and working in Germany. She will get her Blue Card in 2 months.

Recently I got an offer from a Belgian company. I want to know if it's possible for me to get a work permit from Belgium and continue living in Germany with my wife. I'll visit the company twice in a week, and other 3 days I will work from home. Since I'm not a EU citizen, I couldn't find an answer anywhere. So basically is it possible to be a "cross-border commuter" for a non-EU citizen?


  • 1
    Yes, there is a special work permit B for 3rd country citizens living in another EU country (Grenzgänger). This must be applied for by the employer. See Abweichungen B): Arbeits- und Beschäftigungserlaubnis B | Info Integration. See also advise for Grenzgänger about taxes etc. Wohnen in Deutschland, arbeiten in Belgien - GrenzInfoPunkte Sep 7 '20 at 14:43
  • @MarkJohnson The page you linked to says nothing about cross-border workers/*Grenzgänger*. Do you know where more details are available? Are you sure it applies?
    – Relaxed
    Sep 7 '20 at 16:52
  • 1
    @Relaxed The page uses the phrase In einem anderen EU Land niedergelassene Nicht-EU Bürger (Non-EU citizens resident in another EU country). Ostbelgien Live - Arbeits- und Beschäftigungserlaubnis B uses the term Grenzgänger directly. Other that all found sites state that the work permit process, in general, should be started by the employer - I found nothing more specific. Sep 7 '20 at 22:17
  • 1
    @MarkJohnson Yes, I noticed that sentence, it means that people living elsewhere in the EU, potentially far away from the border, are exempted from some of the requirements. The page goes on to explain that once a work permit has been obtained, foreigners can apply for a visa in their country of origin (i.e. it is about moving to Belgium). On the other hand, it does not explicitly say that moving to Belgium is necessary so it might very well apply.
    – Relaxed
    Sep 7 '20 at 23:27
  • @Relaxed That is why I chosed that site since it was clearer. Since 2019 there is a combinded permit (Residence and work), work permit B and C. Just as in Germany there are also special conditions for Turkish citizens. Sep 8 '20 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.